Maylo was founded in the Ranlo Community of Gastonia in 1918. The name Maylo is a combination of two family names, the Mayes family and the Love family.
In the book compiled by Jerrianne Canipe Pyles, Maylo United Methodist Church: The First Seventy-Five Years, she writes that a Sunday School was organized in 1918 at the Rex Community House. From that Sunday School, a Methodist Church was organized, meeting at Ranlo School.
A new church building was completed in 1923. J.H. Mayes, builder of Rex Mills contributed the land for the new church, while Tom Love, a builder of Ranlo Mill, supported the church with an unrecorded amount of money.
On November 1, 1959, not long after the church service ended, a fire was discovered at Maylo. The church burned to the ground with the exception of two walls which were left standing. Efforts to rebuild the church were completed in 1961. The first worship service in the present church building was held on Sunday, April 9, 1961.
The H.D. Whitener Fellowship Hall was completed in 1975.
Copies of this book can be obtained from the church office.
Cell: 828-493-8390 / email@example.com
Ph: 704-281-8509 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph: 704-824-3529 / email@example.com